Tuesday 17 January 2012

Bloggers for Charity Guest Post: Walking to End Women’s Cancer

It's the Bloggers for Charity guest post day! Blog readers will recall, and will certainly notice if they read other Canadian financial blogs, that today is the day for the publication of the guest posts for bidders with the winning donation to a charity of their choice. Kudos again to blogger Mark Goodfield of the Blunt Bean Counter for coming up with the idea and getting it organised. The winning bidder here came up with $200 and here is her post.

******************

Why do I walk in the Walk to End Women’s Cancer?

By Jamie Woodyatt

The Weekend to End Women’s Cancers (http://to12.endcancer.ca/site/PageServer?pagename=to12_homepage) walk, this year taking place September 8-9, 2012, came to Toronto 10 years ago with a goal to raise funds for research and treatments for women facing Breast Cancer. The funds are distributed locally so that it benefits the women where the “walks” take place. In Toronto the funds go to Princess Margaret Hospital. Participating in the event is a true commitment; each walker must generate a minimum of $2,000 in donations for the privilege of walking 60km over 2 days. The bonds formed during the ‘walk’ between walkers, volunteers, survivors, team mates, crew, is amazing as thousands of people join together for their individual reasons for a common goal TO WIN THE WAR AGAINST WOMEN’S CANCERS – NOW!!!.

Some of my inspiration… My aunt is very socially aware and has many causes that she raises funds for and she has walked in the 60km Princess Margaret 8 times. She also took on the 60 km walk in each Canadian city that holds a 60km walk in 2009 (that would be 7 cities). That means that she has walked over 800 km to raise funds and awareness. She also sponsors and participates in the Make a Wish ( http://www.makeawish.ca/)golf tournament each summer. She throws a Christmas bash each year for her friends, family and work associates where guests bring gifts/donations to Nelly’s (http://www.nellies.org/) a charity that offers shelter to women and children leaving violence. She walks for her Mom who lost her battle with breast cancer before I was born and she walks as a survivor as she battled breast cancer herself. She is definitely an inspiration and a role-model which pushes me to be a better person.

In 2010 both my Grandfather and my Mom were diagnosed with cancer. I felt blind-sided I needed to do something, so I joined my Aunt's team and walked for the first time in September 2010. It was incredible; the people you meet and the families who contribute. The support is unbelievable; I HAD to walk again the following year.

My Aunt no longer does the walk herself so she has “passed the torch” so to speak. So In 2011 I started both days walking alone; I met fantastic people along the way and made new friends on both days. On 'day one' I met a walker who had lost his younger sister to cancer the year before; she was only 7 years old. On ‘day two’ I met a woman my age that hadn’t lost anyone to cancer but believed in the cause. I was inspired by her most of all, her intentions were entirely self-less and it was her 3rd year to make the commitment!! Since I had walked the previous year too I know from experience its no ‘walk in the park’… although we do walk through some of the most beautiful parks in Toronto!

I would like to give a special Thank You to the people that continually support the walkers; Their families, those that make donations, the volunteers, the crews, the bikers that stop traffic and keep us safe, the people that honk and boost morale, the people that hand out beer and champagne (definitely helps!), the older lady that made home-made pizza and treats (delicious, I wish you were my grandma!), the guys that set up the mist tents outside their houses (AMAZING! Nothing is more refreshing during a hot walk than a mist BLAST), All the little girls who hand out pink lemonade (SO CUTE!) And the list goes on…. You guys make the walk fun and add so much to the roller coaster of emotion we feel!

I walk so there WILL be a cure in my lifetime. I can’t imagine a world without my Aunt or my Mom. With my family’s history I am at risk too. I am a single Mother and the love of my life is Nathan my wonderful rough and tumble 3 year old that I would do anything for. I not only walk for my survivors but for the next generation too.

I am proud to say I will be walking another 60K this year. With over 120 million dollars raised, The Princess Margaret Weekend to End Women Cancers is making a difference, and is a cause I am proud to be a part of. Aside from my son’s birth, it is the most exhilarating experience of my life and will continue to walk for years to come!

If you wish to help me this year I have attached my link - http://www.endcancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Toronto2012?px=3408993&pg=personal&fr_id=1463. I hope that everyone that reads this realizes that giving your time and effort to a greater good is a heady experience and I recommend it highly; nothing makes you feel better than helping.

**************************

To which I, your regular blogger here, would add this. This guest post could not be more appropriate for my blog. It's perhaps fate, or maybe just a reflection of the prevalence of breast cancer (talk to anyone you know, it is pretty sure that a close friend or family member has had the disease), that this post concerns the disease that stole away my first wife eleven and a half years ago. Support this cause, support Jamie. The link above to donate works great, as I can say from having used it myself. Good luck, Jamie!!

1 comment:

The Blunt Bean Counter said...

Cdn Investor, thanks for participating in Bloggers for Charity. What a great post by Jamie and how sadly ironic for yourself.

Wikinvest Wire

Economic Calendar


 Powered by Forex Pros - The Forex Trading Portal.